In the history of Africa, Maasai people of Kenya are almost the most researched. From their dressings, hair styles to everything about them.
Let’s drive down to Kenya, a country in East Africa, so we know a little about The Maasai.
1. Maasai are one of the ethnic groups inhibiting northern, central and southern Kenya. They speak Maa language while most speak Swahili.
2. The Maasai are accommodating especially those visiting, they’re always ready to educate visitors about their cultures and traditions.
3. The Maasai are known for the practice of three dominant religion – Christianity, Islam and African Traditional religion.
4. The Maasai also sell their jewelry to tourists.Meanwhile, traditional Maasai lifestyle revolves around cattle rearing for either source of food or for sale.
5. There has been misconceptions about hunting and killing of Lion as a “welcome” to adulthood but research has gathered that killing a lion only confers great value on a person and nothing more. Also, The Maasai pierce and stretch earlobes and materials such as stones, knife or thorn are used for the first piercing, they then place heavier jewellery into the hole and gradually increase in size. Another interesting thing to know is how high Maasai men jump,it is a transition from a boy to a man. The jumping also acts as a way for men to attract brides. The higher he jumps, the more of an eligible bachelor he is.
Image credit: en.wikipedia.org
By Nwankwo, Grace Chinasa.