On this Africa day, Red Explorer NG brings you five interesting facts about Africa and her people:
- Africa is the world’s second-largest continent in terms of land area. It has an area of around 11.7 million square miles or 30.37 million square kilometers. This means that Africa contains about a fifth of the world’s total landmass.
- It would interest you to know that the world civilization came out of Africa, originating somewhere in South to East Africa, and expanding from there into Egypt and the Fertile Crescent.
- There are 54 countries in Africa, according to the United Nation (UN). This number fluctuates a bit depending on who you ask, and if certain non-self governing territories can be recognized as nations.
- This may be a somewhat surprising fun fact about Africa. Due to the fact that there are 54 countries in Africa, there are many different languages spoken. However, the most widely spoken language here is Arabic (by 170 million people), followed by English (by 130 million people) then Swahili, French, Hausa and Portuguese. There are also many different languages that are spoken here which we doubt that you have even heard of.
- African lands are fertile; blessed with foods and waters. Africans are strong and independent. They are homely, we have rich cultures and traditions.
(Africa day is commemorated to celebrate the discovery of Organisation of African Unity. Several Africa countries commemorate Africa day with various special events).
By NWANKWO, Grace Chinasa